Mike Bair is vice president of marketing and business development for Boeing Commercial Airplanes and is responsible for strategy, planning and marketing of the company's commercial product and services. He was named to this assignment in February 2012. Bair reports to Ray Conner, president and chief executive officer, Boeing Commercial Airplanes.
Before accepting this position, Bair led advanced 737 Product Development and played an integral role in the launch and record-setting sales of the 737 MAX. Prior to that, Bair was vice president of Business Strategy and Marketing for Commercial Airplanes.
Previously, Bair led the team developing the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. As vice president and general manager for the 787, he was responsible for all aspects of the airplane program.
Before the 787 assignment, Bair spent 19 months as vice president and general manager for Commercial Aviation Services, Commercial Airplanes, with responsibility for the overall strategy and resources supporting the world's largest fleet of commercial jetliners. He is credited with successfully restructuring the services business for improved competitiveness and performance.
Beginning in October 2000, Bair served as vice president of Business Strategy and Marketing for Commercial Airplanes. Before that, Bair headed Marketing Management for Commercial Airplanes Programs. He also served as vice president and general manager of the 757 program, where he was responsible for the design, production and profit/loss of the Boeing 757 family of airplanes.
Bair began his career with Boeing in 1979 as an engineer in the 767 noise organization. He was promoted into his first management assignment in 1984 as a senior analyst in Product Strategy Analysis, part of Commercial Airplanes Marketing. He held various positions during his Marketing tenure, concluding as program manager for all models of the Boeing jetliner family, with responsibility for coordinating the overall product strategy.
Bair's other leadership positions in Commercial Airplanes have included:
- Director of Engineering for the 777 program, responsible for managing all aspects of design for the Boeing 777.
- Vice president of Product Strategy and Development, leading a team of 300 responsible for the product strategy and development of all Boeing airplanes, with the goal of offering superior value to customers.
- Director of Airplane Configuration, leading a team responsible for determining the configurations of each customer's airplane.
- 777 chief project engineer for Airline Requirements and Performance, overseeing marketing, customer engineering and overall airplane performance.
- Regional director of North American Sales, with responsibility for several Boeing airline customers, including American Airlines.
- Manager of executive communications, developing, coordinating and communicating Commercial Airplanes policies and positions to customers and other external audiences.
Bair currently serves on the Board of Trustees for Washington State University and is a member of the College of Engineering and Architecture Advisory Board of Washington State University.
A graduate of Washington State University in 1978 with a Bachelor of Science degree in physics, Bair also received a master of business administration from the University of Puget Sound in 1982. He graduated from the Alfred P. Sloan School of Management at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, becoming a 1993 Sloan Fellow and receiving his second master's degree.
Bair is married and has two sons. He enjoys woodwork, fishing and skiing