The XF8B-1 fighter-bomber was the heaviest carrier-based airplane built before the end of World War II. It was the first fighter Boeing built after the P-26 "Peashooter" of 1936 and the last before the F/A-22 in 1990.
The XF8B-1 could be flown as a torpedo bomber and, because of its single-seat configuration, could also be used as a fighter. Because of its size and great horsepower, the XF8B-1 used an unusual dual six-blade contrarotating propeller. It carried bombs internally and extra fuel externally, and its six machine guns were mounted inside the folding wings.
Only three XF8-1s were built during 1944 and 1945. The aircraft never went into major production because changing wartime strategy required that Boeing concentrate on building land-based large bombers and transports.
||Nov. 27, 1944
||43 feet 3 inches
||One 2,500-horsepower P&W Wasp Major engine
||Six .50-caliber machine guns or 20 mm cannons, 3,200-pound bomb load