|The following noise abatement procedures are in
effect for the Luis Munoz Marin International Airport (SJU / KSJU),
RUNWAYS 8/26 and 10/28 – OPERATIONS / USE
Purpose: This order establishes procedures for runway use at
the Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport without
inhibiting air commerce or derogating the prime function of the
air traffic controllers to promote the safe, orderly, and expeditious
flow of air traffic.
ACTION: San Juan Tower personnel shall use the
guidelines published herein for controlling air traffic at the
Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport.
1. Runway 8 is designated preferential runway for all jet, turbo-jet,
large turbo-prop, and large reciprocating aircraft departures.
a. Runway 8 will be utilized for departures of all types of
b. Runway 8 will be approved for landing of jet, turbo-jet,
large turbo-jet, and large four reciprocating aircraft during
any of the following conditions:
(1) Closure of Runway 10
(2) Failure of Runway 10 VASI
(3) When using the “Lagoon Visual Approach” or
a track that approximates the “Lagoon Visual Approach”
(4) An aircraft on an emergency requiring a longer runway
will use Runway 8 for landing.
(5) Failure of Runway 10 ILS during IFR weather conditions.
2. Runway 10 is designated as the preferential runway for all
jet, turbo-jet, large turbo-jet, and large turbo-prop aircraft
approaches and landings.
a. Small aircraft (12,500 pounds or less), DC-3 and ATR-42/72,
Dash-8, Convair-240, and Short-360, may utilize runway 10 for
b. No intersection departures from Runway 10 will be authorized,
other than from Intersection H-1, or H-2. Small aircraft (12,500
pounds or less) may depart from Intersection H-3, or H-4.
c. Runway 10 will be used for landings and departures of all
type aircraft only when Runway 08 is closed, or restricted.
d. Runway 10 – departures of the following aircraft
above the 12,500 pound limit are also permissible at all times:
CASA-21, ATR-42, DASH-8, SHORT-360, ATR-72, SW-3, DO-28, HS-74
3. Runway 28 can only be utilized for landings during emergency
conditions, when Runway 8/26 is closed.
a. Category I and II Small aircraft (12,500 pounds or less)
may utilize Runway 28 for landings.
4. Runway 26 is a preferential landing runway.
5. In those instances in which Runways 8 and 10 are operational,
Runway 10 becomes the preferential runway for all types aircraft,
except for aircraft on “Lagoon Visual Runway 8 Approach”.
6. Air Traffic Control will assign small aircraft to either runway,
depending on the aircraft’s location and existing air traffic
1. Operational Restriction – Runway 10-28
Avoid landing or taking off during the hours of 09:00pm (01:00Z)
and 06:00am (10:00Z). This is a very sensitive runway. Engine
runup at Hotel taxiway and H-1 shall be accomplished facing east.
Contact (787) 253-4546 for PPR.
2. Operational Restriction – Runway 10 – Intersection
Authorized for Category I and ii aircraft, and only for Intersections
H-1, H-2, H-3, and H-4.
Runway 10 is designated as preferential arrival runway for all
aircraft until 9pm local. After 9pm local, runway 8 is designated
preferential runway for landings and departures until 6am.- WEST
OPERATION: As determined by ATCT runway assignment.
- Runway 26 is the preferential runway for all aircraft.
- Runway 28 is a noise sensitive runway and is restricted to arrivals
from sunrise to sunset, and only for Category I and II aircraft.
All others will utilize Runway 26 for arrivals.