2017 Boeing Flight Competition Guidelines
The Boeing Company will sponsor "The Boeing Flight Competition" at the National Society of Black Engineers 43rd Annual National Convention, in Kansas City, Mo. The competition judging will be Friday, March 31, and Saturday, April 1, 2017.
All participating teams must do the following:
- Register online. Deadline is March 22, 2017. You will receive registration confirmation, and the time and location of your presentation via email.
Additionally, to be eligible for the Overall Award you must:
- Participate in the Team Presentation Friday, March 31, 2017.
- Participate in the Distance Competition on Saturday, April 1, 2017 at the Convention Center, Hall E. Check in by 11:30 am. Pre-flight activities begin promptly at noon.
Please Note: No walk-up teams will be allowed to participate. You must be registered by the deadline in order to compete in this competition. The longest distance of record of, 189'10", was achieved by team Firefly of the University of Wisconsin in 2008. Can you beat that record this year?
Download the competition rules and requirements
Prizes and Awards
Overall Award: $1,400
Awarded to the team that participates in both aspects of the competition: Team Presentation & Design and Flight Competition. If you do not participate in both aspects of evaluation, you will not be considered for the Overall Award. No exceptions will be considered.
Presentation & Design Awards 1st, 2nd, and 3rd: $800, $600, and $400. Awarded to the team that gives the best 10-minute oral/multimedia presentation illustrating the team’s efforts and considerations while designing, building, and testing its glider. The multi-media presentation should include information about the team’s activities as they address the various aspects of design and considerations for both, building and constructing. The presentation should also include the data and results from any testing. Presentations will be judged for:
- Good team verbal skills and
- Creativity using charts, pictures, photos, videos, web page, etc.
The winners will be determined by a panel of judges.
Distance Awards 1st, 2nd, and 3rd: $800, $600, and $400.
Awarded to the 3 teams with the farthest flying gliders as measured from the launch pad to landing.
How to get your team registered for the Flight Competition. To submit your registration form for the Flight Competition, complete the online web form. Note: This form must be completed by March 22, 2017.
What you need to do when you arrive at the National Conference
- Participate in the Team Presentation Friday, March 31, 2017. (You must bring your glider & repair materials with you.)
- Participate in the Distance Competition on Saturday, April 1, 2017 at the Convention Center, Hall E. Check in by 11:30 am. Pre-flight activitiesbegin promptly at noon.
The Boeing Company Flight Competition Contact
If you have any additional questions, please contact:
The Boeing Company
P.O. Box 3707, MC 14-83
Seattle, WA 98124-2207
Cell Phone: 425-891-0909